Your cell phone is probably the dirtiest thing you touch everyday. Its also highly likely that sometimes you might be handling someone else s phone to snap pictures without even realizing where it has been. Studies have shown that most phones test positive for potential disease-causing microbes and fecal matter (so yeah, poop). And because you’re constantly touching your phone, all that grossness can get transferred right back to your face.
You might think that just using an antibacterial wipe will do the trick, but here is where you are probably wrong. Disinfecting wipes are effective at killing germs, but they can corrode and remove the protective ~oleophobic coating~ on the glass screen which repels oils from your fingers and face.
A safer way which happens to be less abrasive and still kills all germs is described below:
Grab a lint-free cloth and spray it with a diluted alcohol solution. Here’s what you’ll need to make that:
- 70% isopropyl alcohol
- 1 mini spray bottle
- 1 microfiber or lint-free cloth
Step 1: Fill a spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water.
Step 2: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
70% isopropyl alcohol is less harsh and abrasive on your screen as opposed to 99% or 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 3: Screw the cap back on and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
Step 4: “LIGHTLY” spray the solution on a microfiber or lint-free cloth.
Never spray the solution directly on your phone. Instead, spray the cloth once or twice — but don’t get it completely wet. You still want to use the solution sparingly.
Rub it all over your entire phone — especially those buttons!
Important: This is for once-a-week disinfecting, not everyday cleaning.
Overuse with this solution can result in some slight damage to the screen’s coating, so you don’t want to do it more than once a week. For daily cleaning, you can just use a dry lint-free cloth .