In this ever-changing world, we now have machines that are capable of learning just the same way as we do, But these machines are more intelligent than us, and they are created by us, humans, hence we use the term Artificial Intelligence to describe their level of intelligence. A quick search on google about artificial intelligence returns the definition which we think is so clear, and they define it as the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks normally requiring human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.
These machines or this technology, has an array of impressive capabilities and uses. These “machines” include (But not limited to) Robots, Chat Bots and some Intelligent Computer programs. But lets take a look at these machines, lets see if they do more good than harm or more harm than good. We believe technology is a good and has many uses that can help the standards of living for example, the Smart home technology, cloud computing , health services, and more of these benefits are highlighted in our post that explains Why technology is important in our modern society. When you take a closer look, you realize that Artificial Intelligence (A.I) , has a huge role to play in this world of technology.
No doubt, these machines will be replacing humans soon (well at least not like we see in movies like Singularity), especially in the manufacturing industry. As we look at the trends we see that more and more intelligent machines are being developed , and automation in industry is becoming a common practice, that can be done to increase efficiency and productivity, so technically, there will reach a point where machines have taken over the entire industry, and humans will be left jobless, or at least if you have other sources of income that can not be touched by these machines. Though we have a strong feeling that this technology will bring more good than bad, as some of these points are highlighted in one of our earlier posts.
Below, are some of the things that we think about Artificial intelligence.
- Quality of products produced. Due to the levels of accuracy and precision attainable , these machines can produce good quality products for the end users and we expect these products to be homogeneous, and as such, quality can be controlled, not by a human (who can make mistakes due to a lot factors) but controlled by a computer.
- Efficiency at the work place. Harnessing artificial intelligence in the workplace is the best way to improve overall efficiency, for both employees and employers. Artificial intelligence is based on building learning systems, modeled on the neural patterns found in the human brain that enable us to learn continuously, so basically AI is designed to learn and change its behavior based on the environmental data its analyses over time and if this power is harnessed, that means quick adjustments to any system can be made, to improve how the system works. That in itself means, if an AI program, or bot detects a loophole in the system, or an inefficient organ of the system, it can actually give feedback, that will improve that system.
- Customer satisfaction. As human as I am, I know that no one likes doing the same work again and again over short period of time and so humans who keep repeating the same task, may end up making a lot of errors. Now AI can help automate tasks which are to be done frequently and at the right time, and that means customers need not to be waiting for long to be served. Also we have chat-bots, that can be very helpful, since they can attend to millions of people at the same time without making errors, imagine, in the case where we have a human on the other side, they could barely handle 5 customers at one go.
- Logical decisions. No doubt, some decisions that we make as human, are not logical, and are based on emotions and how we perceive a situation. Some of these decisions could prove to be costly, and human lives can be lost. When we look at Artificial intelligence, we see a system that introduces pure logic to every situation and executes logical decisions based on the current conditions. Remember, this is just a bot, and has no feelings, though some people argue that some Robots being built are beginning to have a human attribute, where the machine has the ability to feel somethings, or even have feelings as Sophia the humanoid claims.
- Human to human interaction is needed. I must say that, sometimes when I call a service provider and I’m not happy with their service, I prefer to hear a person on the other side of the phone, instead of having a machine to attend to my query. So that could actually bring the negative feeling of the customer towards the company.
- Some people are worried though, of the destruction this piece of technology could cause. These machines are built and programmed by humans, so what could stop someone from building a deadly machine that could wipe the entire human race (as portrayed by most movies)?
In conclusion, we think this is a good piece of technology, if used appropriately, and just like any other technology, when it’s still new, there are so many skeptics. As the tech gains traction, eventually the people get comfortable with it. we hope the same thing happens for this technology. This is still a relatively new tech, and we think it is still under utilized considering its current capabilities and judging from the perspective of the Moore’s law, this will eventually get better with time, and end up solving almost all problems humans have.
Tags: Artificial Intelligence